I'm upset. My Mother has lost another family heirloom.
We used to own a "Junior Lightning Weaver" semi-automatic loom made by United Industries of Hartford, Connecticut. Complete in box with weaving needle and instructions. This was the best little lap loom I have ever seen. I used it a few times. Made a blanket for a doll crib. Had always planned to make a larger project, like an afghan since it would be light for summer.
I had possession of this loom for decades.
Then a few years ago, out of the blue, my Mother asked for it back. I gave it to her.
Yesterday I asked about it. She didn't know a thing. She said it wasn't in the house because she's cleaned and would have remembered if she came across it.
That's it. It's gone.
She lent it to someone. She put it away somewhere and has no clue or remembrance where. She sold it at a yard sale for $1.00. Who knows? (I caught her selling a pair of 14kt gold earrings I gave her for $0.25 once.)
Now you can say the loom is hers and she can do with it what she wants. But it's also our inheritance. My sister has gotten plenty. Like Grandpa's accordion (when *I'm* the one with the music degree and figured out Grandpa's one song by ear and taught it to her) and Grandma's treadle sewing machine (when *I'm* the one who quilts and sews). I'm trying to train Mom to consult with us before she sells stuff she thinks is junk at the next garage sale.
I think she is too embarassed to say the loom is no longer in the family.
I search eBay daily.
Shit. Just shit.
Who Manufactures Dreamcloud Mattress
7 months ago

Oh, I'm so sorry about your Junior loom! My mother had one of those Weave-It looms, but those are still pretty easy to find.
ReplyDeleteYou might try eloomanation-dot-com (appropriate www and dots etc). She might be able to put you in touch with a Junior lightning Weaver (she has a picture of one on the website - I just checked!)
Crossing fingers for you,
Nan (from the 'flats)
All is not lost.
DeleteI was able to get a standard loom with all of the pieces and the original needle on eBay. Paid a pretty penny but I am very happily weaving away.
eloomination doesn't sell but she has a great site for research purposes. I was even able to pick up the little french loom for reweaving she has a photo of.
I've downloaded all of her PDFs too so I can weave all sorts of things. I might even try clothing.